This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Looking for a new plant-based supplement to add to your nutrient regime? Try Irish Sea Moss! But before we talk about “why” you should consider taking this supplement, first let’s get to know it a little better.
What is Irish Sea Moss?
Irish Sea Moss is a type of seaweed found in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Ireland. And don’t worry, this is not some new ‘fad’ food. This seaweed was famously utilized during the Irish Potato Famine of the 1800s. The Irish mixed the seaweed with milk and sugar to create a drink. This drink helped to supplement some of the vitamins and minerals they were missing and aided in staving off starvation. 
And though you may not know it, you most likely have ingested it without even knowing it. Traditionally, sea moss is “harvested for its carrageenan, an ingredient used to thicken milk products.”  In this article, however, we will be referring mainly to Irish Sea Moss as a supplement in pill or powder form and the effect it has on the body.
What are the Health Benefits?
Seaweeds are known for being low-calorie and nutrient-dense. They are particularly rich in vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. They also boast anti-inflammatory properties and live bacteria. 
These properties can lead to improvements in:
- Heart Health (Pack in all of that heart-healthy omega-3s)
- Gut health (Some good bacteria to balance out the bad)
- Regulation of blood sugar and lowering of cholesterol (High in fiber—keeps you fuller longer)
- Weight loss (Low calorie)
- Immunity (High in vitamin C)
With so many benefits, it is safe to say that you should consider adding this sea staple to your diet. There are still studies to be done as to the extent of the helpful nature of Irish Sea moss, as well as to explore any possible side effects. So, as always, consult with your doctor before taking any supplements.
Sea Moss items to Consider
- Spoon R. Irish moss: The history of carrageenan’s roots. Food Ingredient Facts. https://www.foodingredientfacts.org/irish-moss-the-history-of-carrageenans-roots/. Published February 12, 2021. Accessed August 3, 2022.
- Kaputk. What are the Benefits of Sea Moss Cleveland Clinic. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/sea-moss-benefits/. Published June 14, 2022. Accessed August 3, 2022.
- Lomartire S, Marques JC, Gonçalves AMM. An overview to the health benefits of seaweeds consumption. Marine drugs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8232781/. Published June 15, 2021. Accessed August 3, 2022.